Monday, May 12, 2008

Comment on Self-Made Man

"So much of what happens emotionally between men isn't spoken aloud, and so the outsider, especially the female outsider who is used to emotional life being overt and spoken (often over-spoken), tends to assume that what isn't said isn't there. But it is there, and when you're inside it, it's as if you're suddenly hearing sounds that only dogs can hear" (Vincent, 46)


One of the biggest traditions at Gould is the Senior page. There is a lot of thought and time spent on your senior page, and you try to make it as meaningful as possible. After 4 years at Gould, I decided to only point out my guy friends in my page. I am not one to tell a friend how I feel about them and I feel like the senior page is a place that you do so in a semi-private way. I think this is a good example of what Norah Vincent is talking about. Even though I don't say it out loud doesn't mean I don't feel it. I can understand how an outsider like a woman can think that what isn't said isn't there, and without her point of view, I never would have realized this part of man to man bonding.

1 comment:

DC said...

Adrian, great point - senior page is a public but non-verbal place for men to express themselves. It would be interesting to look at gender differences in yearbook pages...