Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I got a D on my man test....

After I took the gender survey, I jokingly said, 'Guys, I failed my man-test.' Looking past the humor, what does failing a gender survey mean? Well, it means I didn't stand up to the stereotypical archetype of 'man.' The values the test associated with men were 'assertive, dominant, and agressive.' If you ask any of my roommates, they will tell you, at least partially in jest, that I am a 'pushover.' I hardly ever argue (unless I am in especially tired) and usually do what people say. However, this trait that makes me 'un-manly' is both a strength as well as a weakness. I have trouble saying no to things, but, for all my un-manliness, most people consider me a 'nice' person. As D.C. says, "There is your biological gender, and there is the way you act." Who knows where the line truely line, and, here's a thought, does it matter? Mr. Penley said to me once, (and excuse me if I quote you incorrectly) that 'traditional' gender roles are constructs of society. I believe this is very true. As we look to the future, the out-dated and the new are mixing, blending into a new definition of manhood. So what does this mean for me? I don't know. Maybe someday, when men finally understand women and vice-versa, we will find out.

2 comments:

DC said...

Lucien, you are wise, insightful and funny in this post. I'd take this any day over forceful and aggressive! You are an "A+" in my book...

Colin Penley said...

Lucien, you got the quote more or less right. I think my whole quote was some thing like... Sex in about biology. Gender is the social construct about how a sex is supposed to act.
But Gender is a social construct summarizes the important bits.
But this was a nice post. Well written!