Thursday, May 8, 2008

Self Made Man, Post #1

Although I didn't read the entire two chapters of Self-Made Man, one particular passage struck me as I was frantically scanning the book before class. As the author first enters the bowling ally, she feels, naturally, nervous. However, once she realizes that her disguise will not be discovered, she notices one important difference in how men greet other men, as opposed to how women greet other women. Men, she says, greet each other much more warmly, as if there is an unspoken code of brotherhood between them, while women seem to hold something back. This is something I had never thought of, and yet, I know it to be at least partially true. In my group of friends, at least, everybody has their own 'role.' We, unknowingly, assume hidden titles, such as 'moral compass,' and 'the athletic one.' While these roles not enforced, they are never challenged. It is assumed that each person will have his 'niche.' I think, as men, we like to work together in a group, but only if each person has their own, 'job.' That job is theirs, only theirs, and nobody else's. My thought is that, perhaps it is different for women? Perhaps this 'system,' has something to do with it? I don't know.

No comments: