Monday, May 12, 2008

Deeper voices, Deeper meaning?

Every time I come home from school, it takes about a week to adjust my speech 'setting' from 'teenage boy' to 'family.' My mom constantly complains that me and my roommates communicate in grunts and mumbles. "It is impossible to understand you," she says, "You sound like cavemen." This is true, to an extent-my words do tend to slur together in incomprehensible mutters. However, within my room, we understand each other perfectly. How? Aside from a scientific principal as yet unknown, I think it is due to the unspoken communication between me and my roommates. We have been together for four years and know each others patterns fairly well. I know that, when I wake up Adam in the morning, there are two separate sets of grumbles. One means, "I don't want to get up," and is interpreted by me as 'you need to keep trying to wake me up.' The other means, "I'm awake and if you keep on trying to wake me up I'll kill you." This grunt is often the precursor to many an interesting morning, and is best avoided. However, to an outsider, they would be one in the same. Adam knows that, when I say, "I'll remember," it means that, almost always, that I'll forget, or that I'm not listening. There are times when I know to leave somebody alone and give them space; there are times when I know they want somebody to commiserate with them. Although I am not the most adept reader of these signs, there are times when I simply 'know.' What does this have to do with gender roles? The author of 'Self Made Man,' makes the point that women are usually overly vocal with their emotions, and men are less than vocal. Perhaps men have merely developed an ability to convey in grunts what cannot be expressed in words, such as, "Uhnnn," meaning, "Can you get me a can of soda? I'm too lazy." Maybe my case is unique; I don't know for sure. All I know is that, "You can have some of my soda," means, "Stay away from my soda or I'll kill you."

1 comment:

DC said...

AHHHH. Grunt... Grunt... Lucien, very apt commentary here. We men often use non-verbal or semi-verbal means of communication that is lost of the fairer and more verbal sex.